Nádor Hall is one of Budapest's most beautifully designed interiors.
It shows the characteristically Hungarian forms of Art Nouveau, which differs from Art Nouveau in other countries and even from the Viennese style within the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.
The building was built by Sándor Baumgarten and Zsigmond Herczeg between 1899 and 1904. Baumgarten designed and built more than a hundred schools. In his most important building he made a transition from Neo-Gothic to Ödön Lehner's style. The largest stained glass window arrangement in Hungary, which was made by Imre Zsellér, a student of Miksa Róth, can be found in the building's remarkable Nádor Hall. The singularly beautiful representations of the royal saints of the House of Árpád can be seen in the windows.
The Elementary School for the Blind holds concerts in the superbly acoustic auditorium from October to the end of May. The Educational Institute for the Blind, which was one of the first of its kind in Europe, was founded in 1825.
The building, in which Nádor Hall served as a chapel that at times also accommodated secular events, was built at the turn of the century. The name of the hall commemorates Palatine Josef Hapsburg who was very involved in founding and maintaining the school.
The concert performers are internationally renowned orchestras, choirs, and soloist musicians and singers. Talented young performers at the beginning of their careers often perform here. The stage, of course, is always open to visionimpaired and blind performers.
All music lovers are welcome in Nádor Hall. By organizing the concerts, the Elementary School for the Blind and The ,,Szól a szív..." Foundation are trying to teach the school's students the love of music.
/ Zoltán Göllesz – artistic director /